Monday, December 19, 2011

Odyssey

Odyssey by Myficals
Odyssey, a photo by Myficals on Flickr.

I first visited Odyessy a little over three years ago. I was doing a little map based exploring, when the name caught my eye. It turned out to be an art space and was a pleasant way to kill a half hour or so. The exhibit that really caught got my attention was an inflatable Jean Baudrillard, a French philosopher who coined the term "hyperreality" and who probably would have found Second Life fascinating. Returning to the sim, it was a bittersweet moment to discover Jean still struggling against his chains. On the one hand, it's always nice to rediscover art you once loved. On the other, impermenance is one of the things I feel makes Second Life great and seeing Jean still up three years later, I find myself wondering why.

No comments:

Post a Comment